Making sushi rice is an art, to get it the right flavor, texture, and uniformly cooked. But you can learn how to make your own sushi rice if you follow a few easy steps!
Homemade sushi rice is so much better than the rice you’ll get at the grocery store or fast-food sushi which often contain sugar (or corn syrup) and preservatives.
Seasoned white sushi rice works really well for making nori rolls, sushi, and rice balls (nigiri).Print
White Sushi Rice
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Cuisine: Japanese
The first step to making delicious nori rolls is making a perfectly seasoned and pefectly sticky sushi rice!
- 2 cups organic white sushi rice
- spring or filtered water for rinsing rice
- 2¼ cups spring or filtered water
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoons umeboshi (ume plum) vinegar
- 1 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- Start by rinsing the rice to remove some of the starch. Place rice in small to medium saucepan with a lid. Add enough water to cover rice by about an inch. Swirl water around until water becomes cloudy. Drain out water using fine meshed strainer.
- Add 2¼ cups spring or filtered water and sea salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. When bubbles first appear, stir the rice with a wooden spoon and place lid on pot.
- When at a full boil, turn heat to low and let simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and keep pot covered for 20 minutes. This gives the rice a chance to steam and absorb all of the cooking liquid.
- Transfer rice into a large bowl. Mix together umeboshi vinegar and brown rice vinegar in a small bowl. Pour the vinegar mixture evenly over the rice, cutting it into the rice with a rice paddle or wide wooden spoon, fanning as you go with a plastic lid or fan. Rice will cool quickly when using this method. Do not stir the rice, as it will become mushy.
- Set aside and cover with a damp towel until ready to use.
Now you’re ready to make some nori rolls! Better yet, invite some friends over for a sushi making party! Below is a post I did with instructions for making your own sushi using this white sushi rice recipe.