Making sushi rice is an art, to get it the right flavor, texture, and uniformly cooked. But you can learn how to make your own sushi rice if you follow a few easy steps!
Homemade sushi rice is so much better than the rice you’ll get at the grocery store or fast-food sushi which often contain sugar (or corn syrup) and preservatives.
Seasoned white sushi rice works really well for making nori rolls, sushi, and rice balls (nigiri).Print
The first step to making delicious nori rolls is making a perfectly seasoned and pefectly sticky sushi rice!
- 2 cups organic white sushi rice
- spring or filtered water for rinsing rice
- 2¼ cups spring or filtered water
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoons umeboshi (ume plum) vinegar
- 1 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- Start by rinsing the rice to remove some of the starch. Place rice in small to medium saucepan with a lid. Add enough water to cover rice by about an inch. Swirl water around until water becomes cloudy. Drain out water using fine meshed strainer.
- Add 2¼ cups spring or filtered water and sea salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. When bubbles first appear, stir the rice with a wooden spoon and place lid on pot.
- When at a full boil, turn heat to low and let simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and keep pot covered for 20 minutes. This gives the rice a chance to steam and absorb all of the cooking liquid.
- Transfer rice into a large bowl. Mix together umeboshi vinegar and brown rice vinegar in a small bowl. Pour the vinegar mixture evenly over the rice, cutting it into the rice with a rice paddle or wide wooden spoon, fanning as you go with a plastic lid or fan. Rice will cool quickly when using this method. Do not stir the rice, as it will become mushy.
- Set aside and cover with a damp towel until ready to use.
Now you’re ready to make some nori rolls! Better yet, invite some friends over for a sushi making party! Below is a post I did with instructions for making your own sushi using this white sushi rice recipe.