Grain-Free Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy, moist, and delicious! They are not overly sweet, using maple syrup and dark chocolate chips as the only sweeteners.
This recipe does not use any gluten-free mixes that often contain refined starches, xanthan gum, and bean flours (which can be bitter and/or difficult to digest). Almond meal or flour is used in place of any grain-based flours making these cookies more nutrient-dense, grain-free, and gluten-free.
Only 7 Simple Ingredients in Grain-Free Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
Grain-Free Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies have only 7 ingredients.
- almond flour or almond meal
- grass-fed butter or virgin coconut oil
- maple syrup
- dark chocolate chips
- vanilla extract
- sea salt
There is an option to add baking soda. They get slightly puffier, but I can’t really tell the difference. I’d just leave it out if you like a nice, dense, chewy cookie!
- ½ cup unsalted grass-fed butter or virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2½ cups almond flour or almond meal
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
- Heat a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat and add butter or coconut oil. Heat until just melted (it should not start to fizz or bubble), then remove pan from heat. Whisk in maple syrup.
- If mixture is not too hot, whisk in egg and vanilla. If mixture is too hot, transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in egg and vanilla.
- Add almond meal, baking soda (if using), and sea salt. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a rubber or silicone spatula, put cookie dough into a storage container and refrigerate until firm, about an hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take cookie dough out of the refrigerator and place walnut-sized balls onto lined baking sheet about ½ inch apart. Gently flatten out cookie dough to desired shape. The cookies will not spread out much since they are made with almond flour. Just make the number of cookies you'd like and save the rest of the dough in the refrigerator for the next time you need some more cookies!
- Bake 12 minutes and carefully rotate cookie sheet 180 degrees. Bake another 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. This will help them to firm up. Using a metal spatula, place cookies onto cooling rack or large plate.
- Store extra cookies in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Try More Dessert Recipes on Cook Love Heal: