Perfect for picnics & barbecues
Summer corn salad is perfect for those hot summer days when you want something light and refreshing. Corn on the cob is steamed briefly to retain all the freshness and crunch of fresh sweet corn.
This salad goes perfectly with grilled fish, shrimp, chicken, or mushrooms. Or bring it with you to your next potluck or picnic.
I especially like summer corn salad with fresh herbs, like cilantro, mint, parsley, and basil (any combination of these is great). In this version, I added baby arugula, but I often make it without.
Ingredients you’ll need for summer corn salad
- Fresh sweet corn – steam quickly and cut right off the cob
- Ume plum vinegar, lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil – whisk together for light dressing
- Cucumber, baby tomatoes, avocado, scallions, baby arugula – toss gently with dressing
- Fresh herbs, such as mint, parsley, cilantro, basil – for garnish
Recipe and VideoPrint
Spring or filtered water
2 ears sweet corn (or 2 cups frozen corn, steamed)
1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar (or large pinch sea salt)
Juice of 1/2 lime (or lemon)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
1 cup baby tomatoes, sliced in half
1 large avocado, cubed
2 scallions, thinly sliced
up to 3 cups baby arugula
Handful fresh cilantro, basil, parsley, or mint (or a combination), chopped
Add about an inch of water to a large skillet or soup pot with a lid, add corn, place lid on, and bring up to a boil. When steam comes out from the sides of the lid, turn heat to low and steam for 2-3 minutes, turning corn once with tongs to cook evenly. Take corn out of the pan and let cool on a plate. When cool enough to handle, slice kernels off the cob.
In a large bowl, whisk together ume plum vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and a few grinds black pepper. Add steamed corn, cucumber, avocado, and scallions. Gently toss together so dressing coats all of the vegetables. Gently fold in baby arugula and fresh herbs.
- Substitute red bell pepper for the cucumber
- Substitute 1 cup drained, rinsed black beans and 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder for the baby arugula