Perfect for picnics & barbecues
Summer corn salad is perfect for those hot summer days when you want something light and refreshing. It goes perfectly with grillables or as a potluck dish.
I especially like summer corn salad with fresh herbs, especially cilantro and mint. But it also goes well with parsley and basil. In this version, I added baby arugula, but I often make a simpler version without arugula.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Fresh sweet corn – steam quickly and cut right off the cob
- Ume plum vinegar, lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil – whisk together for light dressing
- Red bell pepper, baby tomatoes, avocado, scallions, baby arugula – toss gently with dressing
- Fresh herbs (such as mint, parsley, or cilantro) – garnish
Recipe and VideoPrint
Spring or filtered water
2 ears sweet corn (or 2 cups frozen corn, steamed)
1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar (or large pinch sea salt)
Juice of 1/2 small lemon (or lime)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 cup baby tomatoes, sliced in half
1 large avocado, cubed
2 scallions, thinly sliced
3 cups baby arugula
Handful fresh cilantro, basil, parsley, or mint (or a combination), chopped
Add about an inch of water to a large skillet or soup pot with a lid, add corn, place lid on, and bring up to a boil. When steam comes out from the sides of the lid, turn heat to low and steam for 2-3 minutes, turning corn once with tongs to cook evenly. Take corn out of the pan and let cool on a plate. When cool enough to handle, slice kernels off the cob.
In a large bowl, whisk together ume plum vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and a few grinds black pepper. Add steamed corn, bell pepper, avocado, and scallions. Gently toss together so dressing coats all of the vegetables. Gently fold in baby arugula and fresh herbs.
- Substitute peeled, diced cucumber for the avocado
- Substitute 1 cup drained, rinsed black beans and 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder for the baby arugula