This beautiful composed salad is a meal in itself, especially if you add some large white beans, quinoa, or tuna. You can arrange the salad onto ndividual plates or one large platter.
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- 4 cups mixed field greens or 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, sliced in half
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced or 1 cup baby tomatoes
- ½ cup kalamata or niçoise olives, pitted and sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons capers
- ¼ cup parsley leaves, chopped
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar or lemon juice with mustard. Add a few pinches of salt and a grind or two of black pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil with a few pinches of sea salt. Add green beans and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain green beans and spread them out on a plate or platter to cool.
- Scrub potatoes and peel away any blemishes. Place potatoes and a few pinches of sea salt in a pot and cover with cold water. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and let simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain and place into a bowl. When cool, slice large potatoes in half or into several pieces, if desired.
- Arrange lettuce on large platter or individual plates. Place green beans, potatoes, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes on top of lettuce in distinct rows or mounds. Sprinkle olives and capers over the top. Drizzle the entire salad with some of the dressing, then sprinkle chopped parsley over the top.
- Serve with roasted salmon or canned tuna packed in olive oil, if desired.
- If you are able to find colorful fingerling potatoes, such as red or purple varieties, these look very beautiful in the salad.
- Add cooked white beans such as giant Peruvian limas or butter beans.
- Add quinoa or quinoa with chickpeas.
- Omit cucumbers if not in season.
- Add 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut in half.