- 4 cups red radishes or purple daikon radishes, sliced thinly into rounds or half moons
- 1/4 cup ume plum vinegar or umeboshi vinegar
- 1/4 cup spring or filtered water
- Place radishes in a bowl and drizzle with ume plum vinegar. Massage vinegar into vegetables for about 30 seconds.
- Add water and mix to combine. Let sit for about 15 minutes and you will see water coming out of the radishes. Make sure that radishes are pushed down to the bottom of the bowl so that they are completely covered by the pickling solution.
- Cover the bowl and let sit at room temperature for at least one hour to start the pickling process.
- Transfer radishes and liquid to a pint canning jar. Store in the refrigerator. By the next day, each radish will uniformly colored bright pink throughout.
- Will keep for about a month in the refrigerator.
- Try using other thinly sliced vegetables, such as cucumber, carrot, red onion, purple cabbage, purple daikon, or watermelon radish.
- Add fresh dill, garlic, ginger, or coriander seed to flavor the pickles.
- For a large batch of pickles, use the following quantities: 4 pounds thinly sliced radishes, 1¼ cups or one 10-ounce bottle ume plum vinegar, and 1¼ cups spring or filtered water.