Cookies for Breakfast?
When cookies are as nutritious as these, you can feel good about sending them for an on-the-go breakfast or a lunchbox treat. Healthy Banana-Oatmeal Cookies have rolled oats, banana, almond butter, dried fruit, and nuts or seeds– almost like a fortified granola.
Healthy Banana-Oatmeal Cookies can be made gluten free and vegan by using gluten free oats and flaxseed meal instead of egg. You can experiment with the amount of maple syrup in this recipe. The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons, but you can cut that amount in half and they will still be plenty sweet.
Tips for Forming Cookies
Use two spoons to transfer dough onto the cookie sheet. And moisten finger tips when flattening cookies to prevent a sticky mess!
Fresh out of the oven!
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (1 large banana)
- 1/2 cup almond butter or peanut butter
- up to 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed meal or 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins, dried cranberries, or chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup pepitas, chopped walnuts, or coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, almond flour, and rice flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together banana, maple syrup, flaxseed meal, coconut oil, and vanilla until smooth. You can adjust the amount of maple syrup (some people like it without, or with 1 or 2 tablespoons instead of 3).
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine with a rubber spatula.
- Using two spoons, drop about 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie onto parchment covered baking sheet, leaving about an inch between each mound. Wet hands with water and flatten cookies with fingers to the size cookies you would like.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until cookies are golden. Cool cookies on sheet rather than transferring them to a cooling rack to avoid having them fall apart.
- Store in an airtight container or individually wrap and freeze for on-the-go breakfasts or snacks later on.