- 6 tablespoons fair-trade cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (plus extra for oiling pan)
- 3 eggs
- 1–2 tablespoons raspberry or mixed berry jam
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan (or round cake pan) with parchment paper and brush parchment and sides of pan with olive oil or butter. Preheat oven to 325 °F
- Whisk together cocoa and boiling water in a glass measuring cup or mixing bowl. Add the vanilla.
- In another small bowl, combine the almond meal, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine sugar, olive oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture thick and well combined. You can also mix by hand using a heavy-duty whisk.
- Reduce the mixer speed and add the cocoa mixture. Then add the almond meal mixture. Mix until combined. If mixing by hand, so this step with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes (check at 30 minutes in case your oven is running hot). The cake should be pulling away from the sides and the center will look slightly damp but should not be jiggly. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the ring and let cool completely.
- When cool, spread the top with jam. Cut into 8 or 10 slices. Serve each slice with a few raspberries.