- 2 cups organic short or medium grain brown rice
- spring or filtered water
- pinch unrefined sea salt or 1 inch square piece kombu
- Measure rice into glass bowl and wash with filtered water three times. Scour the rice with your hands to remove dust and debris with each wash. After third wash, drain completely and pour in 3 cups fresh water. Soak for 6-8 hours or overnight, covered with a plate or towel.
- Drain soaking water into a measuring cup and note amount of water. Discard soaking water and measure the same amount of fresh water.
- Transfer rice to heavy-bottomed pot with heavy lid. Add measured fresh water and pinch of sea salt or kombu. Put lid on pot, turn flame to low and let cook gently 15 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium-high until rice is boiling, then turn back to low, place flame tamer (heat diffuser) underneath pot, and simmer for another 50 minutes without removing the lid.
- Turn off heat and let rice sit covered for about 10-15 minutes before opening pot.
- Add 1/2 cup toasted, chopped pecans sprinkled with shoyu or tamari to cooked rice.