- 1 cup dry corn polenta
- 5 cups spring or filtered water, divided
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt, or more to taste
- kernels from 1 ear sweet corn or 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or grass-fed butter (optional)
- a few pinches shiso powder
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, whisk together polenta, 3 cups water, and sea salt.
- Turn heat to medium. Stir constantly while polenta comes to a boil to prevent sticking or clumping.
- Gradually add the remaining 2 cups of water and sweet corn, stirring constantly. Turn heat down to prevent polenta from splattering.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer with a flame tamer beneath pot for 20-30 minutes, or until polenta is thick, soft, and creamy.
- Stir in olive oil or butter, if desired. Season with additional sea salt if needed.
- Serve with a sprinkle of shiso powder.
- Add finely chopped broccoli to the polenta during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve with sautéed zucchini, mushrooms, or kale.
- Make in a pressure cooker by adding polenta, 5 cups water, sea salt, and corn all at once. Put pressure cooker lid on and bring up to pressure on medium heat. Turn to low and cook for 5 minutes more. Turn off heat and let come down from pressure naturally. Remove lid and stir in olive oil or butter, if desired.