This vegan and raw appetizer is inspired by Caribbean flavors– fresh coconut, mango, and lime! You can find Thai Young Coconuts at Whole Foods Market. Ask a produce person to cut it open for you. Drink the coconut water and then scoop out the coconut meat with a spoon.
Try serving the ceviche with tortilla chips or tostadas and serve as fresh as possible, within 1-2 days. Recipe contributed by Cynthia Chea Pean, Chef at The Springs Raw and Living Foods restaurant in Los Angeles. Cynthia makes wonderfully tasty food with very creative and beautiful presentations. Follow her on Facebook and Instagram to see what she is up to!
- 2 cups fresh coconut, thinly sliced (1/4 inch)
- 1 cup fresh ripe mango, thinly sliced (1/4 inch)
- 1 cup abalone mushrooms roughly chopped
- ¼ cup mint, chiffonade
- ½ cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 fresno chili pepper, thinly sliced - best to use a mandolin
- 1 habanero, minced (optional)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon agave nectar
- Roughly chop abalone mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and massage until the mushrooms break down and begin to change texture. Double rinse the mushrooms and set aside. Combine the coconut, mango, mint, cucumber and peppers in a bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Whisk together coconut milk, lime juice, salt, and agave nectar to make the "Leche de Tigre."
- Add "Leche de Tigre" to salad and toss until it is well incorporated.
- For an elegant presentation, press salad gently into a ramekin, invert onto serving plate, and top with sliced avocado.
- Serve immediately.