- 1 cup pitted dates, roughly chopped and packed
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 cup unsweetened fine coconut flakes
- extra coconut flakes, for rolling the truffles
- Place the dates in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Strain the dates from the hot water (reserving liquid) and place in food processor along with chocolate chips and coconut oil. Pulse the ingredients until smooth. Add a little of the soaking liquid only if needed to blend.
- Sift the cacao powder into the medium mixing bowl and add coconut flakes.
- Scrape date mixture into the bowl with the coconut mixture. Using a spatula, fold ingredients together until well combined. Cover bowl and refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cold, roll into balls working quickly so the chocolate does not melt and roll evenly in the remaining coconut.
- Roll truffles in sifted cocoa, cacao, or carob or finely chopped nuts insead of coconut flakes.
- Place rolled truffles in an airtight container in refrigerator to set.