This recipe was inspired by my floral designer friend Amanda, who makes everything beautiful!
One year my daughter and I made these as holiday gifts for her teachers and garnished them with tiny basil flowers.
You can also roll the truffles in cocoa, cacao, or carob powder or finely chopped nuts (like pistachios) instead of coconut flakes.Print
- 1 cup pitted dates, roughly chopped and packed
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 cup unsweetened fine coconut flakes
- extra coconut flakes, for rolling the truffles
- Place the dates in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Strain the dates from the hot water (reserving liquid) and place in food processor along with chocolate chips and coconut oil. Pulse the ingredients until smooth. Add a little of the soaking liquid only if needed to blend.
- Sift the cacao powder into the medium mixing bowl and add coconut flakes.
- Scrape date mixture into the bowl with the coconut mixture. Using a spatula, fold ingredients together until well combined. Cover bowl and refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cold, roll into balls working quickly so the chocolate does not melt and roll evenly in the remaining coconut.
- Roll truffles in sifted cocoa, cacao, or carob or finely chopped nuts insead of coconut flakes.
- Place rolled truffles in an airtight container in refrigerator to set.
Enjoy making these treats for your friends and family this holiday season!