Asian mushroom lettuce wraps are the perfect start to an Asian-themed meal or any gathering. I brought these to a potluck last week held in honor of a friend visiting from Asheville, NC. By the end of dinner, all that was left was one lonely lettuce leaf!
I wanted to make these lettuce wraps healthier than the restaurant variety, so added more vegetables, and left out the soy, sugar, and gluten! Instead of soy sauce or tamari I used Coco Aminos (I like the Big Tree Farms brand) which is naturally sweet and savory.
If you like your filling a little sweeter, you can always add a dash of maple syrup or agave, but you probably won’t need to.
This recipes is a vegan, gluten-free version of Chicken Lettuce Wraps served at Asian restaurants.
- 2 tablespoons untoasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup leek, spring onion, or sweet onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 3 cups mushrooms (crimini, shiitake, and/or oyster), thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, small dice
- 1 cup zucchini, small dice
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts or celery, finely chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (Big Tree Farm brand recommended)
- sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 head green or red leaf lettuce, butter lettuce, or Romaine lettuce
- Heat large skillet or wok on medium-high heat. Make sure all ingredients are prepped so they can be added to the pan quickly. Add sesame oil and swirl to coat pan.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt. Sauté for about a minute. Reduce heat a bit to prevent burning.
- Add carrots, zucchini, and another pinch of salt and sauté a few minutes more.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Add water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
- Season with brown rice vinegar, coconut aminos, and sea salt (to taste).
- Put mushroom filling into a serving bowl in the middle of a large plate or platter. Garnish with cilantro and green onion. Place lettuce leaves around the bowl or on a separate plate. To serve, take a lettuce leaf, place a spoonful or two of mushroom filling onto the leaf, and eat like a taco.
- For a heartier appetizer or main dish, add 1/2 lb. cooked chicken thigh cut into bite-sized pieces. Adjust seasonings.