Seasonal ingredients that go great together
The inspiration for this Arugula Salad with Pomegranate came from what is available in the winter in Texas. I love the contrasting colors, flavors, and textures of the pomegranate seeds, pecans, dried figs, kumquats, avocado, and baby arugula. Maple balsamic vinaigrette balances out the bitterness of the greens.
How to seed a pomegranate
You will need to get the seeds out of a pomegranate for this recipe. My favorite, least technical, and least messy way to do this involves cutting the pomegranate in half, submerging the halves in a bowl of water, and gently opening each half and removing seeds under the water. See method 3 on this post.
Fresh pomegranate seeds taste much better than those already seeded at the store. You can keep the leftover seeds in a glass container in the refrigerator for about a week.
What are kumquats?
Kumquats are optional in this recipe, but are a fun ingredient to use when they come into season in the wintertime. The entire fruit is edible, with a sweet flavored peel and sour flesh inside (the opposite of an orange). Look for kumquats that are firm, as they should be juicier. I like to slice them thinly, remove big seeds, and sprinkle on salads to get a pop of citrus flavor.Print
This salad is perfect for holiday gatherings!
- 4 cups mixed field greens or baby arugula
- 4 dried figs, soaked in warm water
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 small avocado, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 2 kumquats, thinly sliced (optional)
Maple Balsamic Dressing
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange or tangerine juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 small clove fresh garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Rinse and spin dry mixed greens. Place on large platter or into large salad bowl. Drain figs and slice thinly, removing any tough stems. Decorate greens with fig slices, pomegranate seeds, avocado chunks, and toasted pecan halves. Garnish with kumquat slices, if desired.
- Whisk together all ingredients except olive oil. Gradually whisk in olive oil, one drop at a time, until well incorporated.