These vegan and gluten free biscotti are chewy and so delicious with almond, vanilla, and orange flavors!
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal (ground flax seed)
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1½ cups Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free flour (or other all-purpose GF flour mix)
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1¾ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 6 tablespoons coconut spread (or Earth Balance or butter)
- ¾ cup maple sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- zest of 1 orange
- ½ cup gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk (room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Make 2 “flax eggs” by combining flax seed meal and water in a small bowl. Let sit for 5-10 minutes or until mixture is thick.
- In a large bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour, almond flour, and baking powder. Add toasted, chopped almonds.
- In a separate bowl, mix together coconut spread and maple syrup until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla, almond, and orange extracts, orange zest, and flax eggs. Stir to combine well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and combine well by hand.
- Separate the dough into 2 halves. Using your hands, form 2 logs, each about 4 by 10 inches. Place each log on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, slice into ovals about an inch thick, place back onto cookie sheet, and bake again for 10-12 minutes. Cool biscotti on cooking rack.
- Melt chocolate chips in a saucepan over very low heat with milk. When chips start to melt, remove from heat and whisk until smooth. While still warm, pour melted chocolate into small squeeze bottle (or Ziplock bag with a tiny piece of the corner cut off) and drizzle onto cooled biscotti. Work fast so that chocolate does not cool and become hard.
- Alternately, biscotti can be dipped into melted chocolate and coated with extra toasted almonds.